EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR POSITION
Memphis Area Legal Services (MALS) seeks an Executive Director to lead this non-profit organization in its mission to secure justice and protect the rights of low-income families in the western Tennessee counties of Shelby, Fayette, Tipton, and Lauderdale who are unable to pay for legal services in civil matters. MALS provides high quality legal representation and counsel to individuals and families facing critical, sometimes life-threatening, situations such as
domestic violence, mortgage foreclosure, eviction or homelessness, wrongful denial of health care, food stamps, unemployment compensation, consumer fraud, and predatory lending. MALS also focuses on the special challenges and needs of children, the elderly, and veterans.
The Executive Director will lead a strong, client-centered law firm with an experienced and dedicated staff of 20 attorneys and 20 support staff located in offices in Memphis and Covington. The Executive Director will bring leadership, administrative, and litigation experience and vision to build on MALS’s extensive collaborative relationships with the courts, state and local bar associations, and other legal and social service providers. MALS has an annual budget of approximately $4 million with funding from the Legal Services Corporation, as well as various federal, state, and local sources of grant funding and private donations.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Executive Director:
- Serve as the public face of MALS in its relationships with clients, funders, bar associations, courts, other legal providers, human services organizations, private donors and businesses.
- Facilitate communication and collaboration within MALS’s Board, offices, and staff.
- Foster a culture that respects the diversity of its clients, staff, and board and promotes mutual respect, equity, inclusion, and teamwork.
- Lead MALS’s fundraising efforts and work with its Board and development team to support and expand MALS’s fundraising.
- Oversee MALS’s operational and fiscal systems to ensure that MALS fulfills its obligations and responsibilities under its multiple grants and contracts and complies with all applicable requirements and regulations.
- Perform significant management duties including supervising and mentoring of staff, promoting skills development, and developing strategies to effectively address personnel and resource allocation issues.
- Develop and implement technological innovations that improve the effectiveness of service delivery and administration and that promote access to MALS’s services by the client community.
- Collaborate with other legal aid and legal services programs in the state in the coordination of the delivery of services to clients.
- D. and licensed attorney
- Knowledge and understanding of issues that impact low income persons and commitment to the legal rights of low income and other vulnerable individuals.
- At least seven years of management experience, preferably in a legal aid organization, including supervision of staff, financial management, budget development, compliance with grant and contract requirements, and grant reporting.
- Experience in resource development including grant writing and fundraising.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- It is the intention of MALS to complete the search and hiring process by April 20, 2024, so a strict timeline will be observed.
- Deadline to apply: COB March 30, 2024
- Applications for the position should include a cover letter, detailing the candidate’s qualifications for the position, a resume, a writing sample, contact information for three professional references, and salary requirements.
- Applications should be e-mailed to: HR@malsi.org in Word or PDF format.
- Inquiries regarding this position may also be directed to HR@malsi.org
Equal Opportunity Employer
Please submit your requirements
March 30, 2024
Memphis Area Legal Services is seeking an attorney with strong litigation, analytical, and organizational skills to provide legal representation to eligible clients in its rural office located in Covington, TN.
Reporting to the Managing Attorney of the Covington office, the Staff Attorney will be responsible for providing high quality legal services to qualified individuals and groups under MALS’ guidelines and substantive priority areas.
- Law degree; admitted to the Tennessee Bar or eligible based upon reciprocity
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and the ability to listen well
- 2 to 5 years of legal experience preferred
Salary DOE with excellent benefits, including 401(K). Interested applicants should send a letter of interest, writing sample, and resume to HR@malsi.org
MALS is an E.O.E.
Memphis Area Legal Services is seeking two (2) Paralegals with strong administrative, analytical, and organizational skills to conduct interviews of clients, including home visits when appropriate, assist in advising clients; and perform all other case management duties.
The Paralegals will be responsible for and/or assists in the provision of high-quality client legal services to qualified individuals and groups under MALS’ guidelines and substantive priority areas. Conducts legal research; prepare and draft legal documents, pleadings, letters, case memos and referral memoranda as appropriate.
Applicants should have:
- A bachelor’s degree in paralegal studies or graduate of a paralegal training program
- At least one year of experience as a paralegal
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong work ethic and excellent organizational skills with diligence
- Excellent people skills
- Spanish speaking a plus
Excellent benefits, including 401(k). MALS is an E.O.E.
Interested candidates, please send cover letter and resume to: HR@malsi.org